Friday, August 27, 2010

Original Blue Power Ranger Reveals He Was Taunted on Set for Being Gay


PopEater
Almost two decades after leaving 'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers,' one of the most popular children's shows in TV history, the original Blue Ranger reveals it was behind-the-scenes taunting about his sexuality that eventually led him to walk off the show, EW.com reports. David Yost opened up about the life-changing experience toNo Pink Spandex, a site dedicated to the Power Rangers.

About 20 years ago, after being taunted for years for being gay, Yost walked off the set.

"The reason that I walked off is that I was called 'f-–' one too many times. I had just heard that several times while working on the show from creators, producers, writers, directors... Basically I just felt like i was continually being told I was not worthy of being where I am because I'm a gay person. And I'm not supposed to be an actor. And I'm not a superhero," Yost said.

The former Blue Ranger was very candid in the interview, at times, even tearing up when remembering events at that time.

"I know that my co-stars were called in a couple times into different producer's offices and questioned about my sexuality which is kind of an humiliating experience to hear that and to find that out. There were just a lot of issues," Yost recalls.

The harassment was so bad, Yost even thought about taking his own life. "It just felt like a bad marriage. I could either stay and finish six more months -- do the second movie and finish six more months of the show -- or just... I was kinda worried about my life. I was worried I might take my own life," he reveals.

It was after a nervous breakdown and several years of soul searching that Yost eventually found peace. The former actor is now working behind the camera in Hollywood as a producer

No comments:

Post a Comment