Musician Franke Previte was pushing 40 when he submitted a little ditty for a 1987 Patrick Swayze vehicle called 'Dirty Dancing.' The song, called '(I've Had) The Time of My Life,' it was the 150th tune considered for a dance sequence that would become iconic.

It was the last song taken into consideration. "They were getting ready to film to a Lionel Richie track which wasn't a bad song, it just wasn't their song," Previte tells PopEater on a call from his New Jersey home -- a home he says 'Time of My Life' essentially purchased. "So when I met Patrick Swayze at the Academy Awards, he said to me, 'We were bummed -- there was no camaraderie, there was a feeling the movie was gonna suck. Then we heard the song and we all freaked out.' "

Read on for Previte's memories of Swayze a year after his passing, and how the original 'Time of My Life' demos are set to rack up dollars for Patrick Swayze's Cancer Research Fund.